Call for Supported Participation
If you are excited by the idea of creating some aspect of our Luminous Garden, we invite you to apply as a supported participating artist or creative technologist. Participating artists and technology creatives may include visual art, sound, video, performance, landscaping, architectural elements, and so forth, however all projects should incorporate an electronic, interactive, or self-illuminated component best experienced in low light conditions.
- February to mid April: Recruiting and calls for participation.
- April 25th, midnight: Application Form deadline.
- May 2nd: Notifications of supported participation sent.
- Late April – June: Brainstorming, planning, and any required pre-event work parties.
- June 16-19th at Electric Sky: On-site collaboration in the Electric Sky Creativity Lab.
- Saturday June 18th: Luminous Garden installation completed at sunset, followed by opening night party.
- Sunday June 19th: Takedown.
- Fall 2016 — we are currently seeking a space for fall/winter indoor installation in Seattle.
Why Apply as a Supported Collaborator
Any Electric Sky attendee may contribute to the Luminous Garden, whether or not they receive support (please email Shelly Farnham directly with your ideas or to ask how to help, shelly at totallylegitllc dot com). Supported participants will be provided with free tickets to Electric Sky and small micro-grants (approximately $200-$500) to help support costs of implementing their aspect of the collaboration. If you would like to join our collaboration and seek free tickets or support in material project costs, please complete our application form by April 25th at midnight.
If you wish to participate as a supported collaborator in the Luminous Garden collaboration, please complete and send the attached form by April 25th. Thanks to the generosity of a 4Culture tech-specific art grant, supported collaborators will receive a free ticket to Electric Sky, and will be assigned a portion of our overall project budget in the form a micro-grant to cover material costs. You will be able to keep any materials purchased by your approved project budget after the event.
- First, be sure to read our description of the Luminous Garden and our basic design framework.
- Write a response to each of the questions in the attached form below.
- Send as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Luminous Garden Application for Supported Participation. You may paste your responses directly into your email or attach and send as a word document.
- Send by Monday, April 25th at midnight.
Requirements and expectations for supported participation:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Participate with an open spirit of collaboration, seeking to contribute your own special skills and interests, while also taking advantage of the skills and interests of other collaborators — all with patience and good humor.
- Participate in at least two Luminous Garden brainstorming and planning meetings prior to the Electric Sky event (schedule to be determined based on participants’ availability).
- Attend the Electric Sky Art and Tech Campathon in Skykomish Washington from Friday June 17 – Sunday June 19. You may arrive as early as Thursday, but please be there by Friday evening in time for our first organizing group meeting.
- At the minimum set up and take down your contribution to the Luminous Garden group collaboration, but also help/collaborate with others.
- Submit receipts to be reimbursed for your approved project budget, or coordinate with Shelly Farnham (the creative director) to have materials purchased for you at shelly at totallylegitllc.com.