If you are excited by the idea of creating an individual or collaborative project around our theme the Digital Frontier, we invite you to apply to be a supported participating artist or creative technologist, to receive free overnight camping tickets and funds to support your project. Participating artists and technology creatives may include visual art, sound, video, performance, landscaping, architectural elements, and so forth, however all projects should incorporate an electronic or interactive component consistent with the theme.
- February – April: Recruiting and calls for participation.
- April 30th, midnight: Application Form deadline (form link below).
- May 7th: Notifications of supported participation sent.
- Mid May: Arduinos workshop — sound, and movement.
- May – July: Brainstorming, planning, and any required pre-event work parties.
- Thu, Aug 2nd – Sun, Aug 5th at Electric Sky: On-site collaboration in the Electric Sky Creativity Lab.
- Sat, Aug 4th: The Digital Frontier installations completed, followed by opening night party.
- Sun, Aug 5th: Takedown.
Why Apply as a Supported Collaborator
All Electric Sky attendees may contribute to the Digital frontier group installation, whether or not they receive support. Please email Shelly Farnham directly with your ideas or to ask how to help, shelly at totallylegitllc dot com. Supported participants will be provided with free overnight camping tickets to Electric Sky and micro-grants (approximately $200-$1000) to help support costs of implementing their aspect of the collaboration. If you would like to join our collaboration and seek free overnight camping tickets or support in material project costs, please complete our application form by April 30th at midnight.
If you wish to participate as a supported collaborator in the Digital Frontier collaboration, please complete and send the attached form by April 30th, 2018. Thanks to the generosity of a 4Culture tech-specific art grant, supported collaborators will receive a free ticket to Electric Sky, and will be assigned a portion of our overall project budget in the form a micro-grant to cover material costs. You will be able to keep any materials purchased by your approved project budget after the event.
- First, be sure to read our description of the Digital Frontier and our basic design framework.
- Write a response to each of the questions in the form below.
- Send as an email to email@example.com with the subject Digital Frontier Application for Supported Participation. You may paste your responses directly into your email or attach and send.
- Send by Monday, April 30th at midnight.
Requirements and expectations for supported participation:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Participate with an open spirit of collaboration, seeking to contribute your own special skills and interests, while also taking advantage of the skills and interests of other collaborators — all with patience and good humor.
- Participate in at least one Digital Frontier brainstorming and planning meetings prior to the Electric Sky event (schedule to be determined based on participants’ availability).
- Attend the Electric Sky Art and Tech Retreat in Skykomish Washington from Friday August 3rd – Sunday Aug 5th. You may arrive as early as Thursday, but please be there by Friday evening in time for our first organizing group meeting.
- At the minimum set up and take down your contribution to the Digital Frontier group collaboration, but also help/collaborate with others.
- Submit receipts to be reimbursed for your approved project budget within 30 days of Electric Sky. If you cannot purchase materials out of pocket, you may also coordinate with Shelly Farnham (the creative director) to have materials purchased for you. Email shelly at totallylegitllc.com.
- If you exhibit your sponsored work after Electric Sky, we ask that you indicate in your signage “sponsored by Electric Sky” to help spread the word about our great event.